Thakkali chutney, a lip-smackingly Great, Tamil Nadu style tomato chutney that will makes for an excellent side with idli, dosa as well as chapathi
We had a Great harvest of homegrown heirloom tomatoes This specific year. I prepared a batch of Andhra style tomato pickle, instant Andhra tomato pickle as well as sun dried tomato pickle which should hopefully last us a few weeks. With abundant tomatoes at home, I tend to make a variety of chutneys to go with idli, dosa, chapathi as well as rice. I am very fond of a Tamil style thakkali chutney that will makes for a delectable side with both dosa as well as idli. Thakkali chutney can be redolent with tomato goodness. This specific vegan chutney allows tomatoes to shine by embracing their flavour as we are not using onions to lend This specific body. This specific can be so delicious having a subtle tang, moderate spice as well as a slight hint of sweetness.
homegrown heirloom tomatoes
There’s always a joy in cooking as well as relishing homegrown produce like heirloom tomatoes minutes after they have been plucked off the plant. I have used heirloom or desi variety of tomatoes to make thakkali chutney. If the tomatoes are too tart, you can balance out the tanginess of the tomatoes by adding jaggery or sugar. Of course, red chillies bring within the required heat as well as when cooked through, all the flavours work together perfectly.
The versatility of tomato chutney can be that will once you have a base recipe, they are endless variations to experiment. No hard as well as fast rules to follow.
tomato chutney for idli as well as dosa
Tips to make tasty thakkali chutney
There are two key steps to follow to make This specific thakkali chutney recipe a super hit. The first can be using the right variety of tomatoes i.e heirloom or desi tomatoes. The second step can be to slow cook them to a mushy texture to get the true taste of tomatoes. I’d suggest you chop the tomato pieces lengthwise roughly the same size to ensure even cooking. This specific can be worth your time to chop them evenly as well as cooking them to a mushy texture before grinding the cooked mixture to a paste.
This specific chutney calls for the use of garlic as well as cumin which add depth to the overall flavour. Crush the garlic as well as saute This specific along with the tempering of spices before adding the tomatoes. You can add fresh grated coconut to lend body to the chutney as well as cut down on the tartness of the tomatoes. If you do not have fresh coconut on hand, This specific can be perfectly fine to omit This specific.
thakkali chutney tamil nadu style
This specific type of south indian thakkali chutney makes for a wonderful side with idli, dosa as well as chapathi. A vibrant coloured, zesty tomato chutney that will will surely win you over. Without a doubt, This specific will be your go-to tomato chutney among the myriad indian chutney varieties.
how to make thakkali chutney
Method for creating Thakkali chutney recipe
- Heat a tbsp of oil in a heavy bottomed vessel. Add cumin seeds as well as allow to splutter. Add crushed garlic cloves as well as red chillies as well as saute for at least 10-15 seconds on low flame.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, jaggery as well as salt. Cook on high flame for 5 minutes. Reduce flame to low, place lid as well as cook till the tomatoes appear slightly mashed.
- Remove lid as well as cook till the water has almost evaporated. Turn off heat as well as cool. Grind the cooked tomato mixture as well as fresh coconut to a paste as well as set aside.
- Heat a tbsp of oil within the heavy bottomed vessel, add the mustard seeds as well as allow to splutter. Add curry leaves as well as saute for a few seconds. Immediately add the ground tomato paste as well as 1/2 cup of water. Simmer on low flame for 7-8 minutes. Turn off heat.
- Remove the thakkali chutney to a serving bowl. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves as well as serve with idli, dosa or chapathi.
- Use heirloom tomatoes or desi variety of tomatoes.
Thakkali chutney recipe, a tasty, south indian style tomato chutney for dosa as well as idli. Learn how to make thakkali chutney that will’s easy as well as quick to make