Thakkali chutney, a lip-smackingly Great, Tamil Nadu style tomato chutney in which makes for an excellent side with idli, dosa along with chapathi
We had a Great harvest of homegrown heirloom tomatoes This kind of year. I prepared a batch of Andhra style tomato pickle, instant Andhra tomato pickle along with sun dried tomato pickle which should hopefully last us a few weeks. With abundant tomatoes at home, I tend to make a variety of chutneys to go with idli, dosa, chapathi along with rice. I am very fond of a Tamil style thakkali chutney in which makes for a delectable side with both dosa along with idli. Thakkali chutney is usually redolent with tomato goodness. This kind of vegan chutney allows tomatoes to shine by embracing their flavour as we are not using onions to lend This kind of body. This kind of is usually so delicious which has a subtle tang, moderate spice along which has a slight hint of sweetness.
homegrown heirloom tomatoes
There’s always a joy in cooking along with relishing homegrown produce like heirloom tomatoes minutes after they have been plucked off the plant. I have used heirloom or desi variety of tomatoes to make thakkali chutney. If the tomatoes are too tart, you can balance out the tanginess of the tomatoes by adding jaggery or sugar. Of course, red chillies bring inside required heat along with when cooked through, all the flavours work together perfectly.
The versatility of tomato chutney is usually in which once you have a base recipe, they are endless variations to experiment. No hard along with fast rules to follow.
tomato chutney for idli along with dosa
Tips to make tasty thakkali chutney
There are two key steps to follow to make This kind of thakkali chutney recipe a super hit. The first is usually using the right variety of tomatoes i.e heirloom or desi tomatoes. The second step is usually to slow cook them to a mushy texture to get the true taste of tomatoes. I’d suggest you chop the tomato pieces lengthwise roughly the same size to ensure even cooking. This kind of is usually worth your time to chop them evenly along with cooking them to a mushy texture before grinding the cooked mixture to a paste.
This kind of chutney calls for the use of garlic along with cumin which add depth to the overall flavour. Crush the garlic along with saute This kind of along with the tempering of spices before adding the tomatoes. You can add fresh grated coconut to lend body to the chutney as well as cut down on the tartness of the tomatoes. If you do not have fresh coconut on hand, This kind of is usually perfectly fine to omit This kind of.
thakkali chutney tamil nadu style
This kind of variation of south indian thakkali chutney makes for a wonderful side with idli, dosa along with chapathi. A vibrant coloured, zesty tomato chutney in which will surely win you over. Without a doubt, This kind of will be your go-to tomato chutney among the myriad indian chutney varieties.
how to make thakkali chutney
Method for generating Thakkali chutney recipe
- Heat a tbsp of oil in a heavy bottomed vessel. Add cumin seeds along with allow to splutter. Add crushed garlic cloves along with red chillies along with saute for at least 10-15 seconds on low flame.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, jaggery along with salt. Cook on high flame for 5 minutes. Reduce flame to low, place lid along with cook till the tomatoes appear slightly mashed.
- Remove lid along with cook till the water has almost evaporated. Turn off heat along with cool. Grind the cooked tomato mixture along with fresh coconut to a paste along with set aside.
- Heat a tbsp of oil inside heavy bottomed vessel, add the mustard seeds along with allow to splutter. Add curry leaves along with saute for a few seconds. Immediately add the ground tomato paste along with 1/2 cup of water. Simmer on low flame for 7-8 minutes. Turn off heat.
- Remove the thakkali chutney to a serving bowl. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves along with serve with idli, dosa or chapathi.
- Use heirloom tomatoes or desi variety of tomatoes.
Thakkali chutney recipe, a tasty, south indian style tomato chutney for dosa along with idli. Learn how to make thakkali chutney in which’s easy along with quick to make